Interview: 10 questions
1. Tell me something about your life and the educational background
I was born in little town Izmail, Ukraine. I studied painting in art school and later found myself interested in collage, but soon after that I decided to create my own photographic material as I began to make pictures by myself. Photography has led me to a video. I wanted picture to move, I start to create video art. Now I live and work in Odessa – Ukraine as well.
Some of the exhibitions are listed here:
Multimedia Art Museum, Moscow (МАММ) / the Museum «Moscow House of a photo» VIDIOT 5/Russia 2011 (video)
Krasnoyarsk museum center – “SPACE 2 “/ Russia / on May, 11th – on August, 30th 2011 (video)
Gallery FLASH BOX – “CHAMBER LIGHT ” (Novosibirsk) Russia / on July, 6th – on September, 7th 2011. (photo)
VIDEOHOLICA INTERNATIONAL VIDEO ART FESTIVAL / 5 – 12 August 2011 Varna/ Bulgaria.(video)
DokumentART /European Documentary Film Festival 04 – 09. 11. 2011, Neubrandenburg / Germany / and Szczecin / Poland (video)
2. When, how and why started you filming?
My passion for cinematography goes back to when I was a kid. I always wanted to shoot my own movie.
3. What kind of subjects have your films?
My films are disturbing.
They are touching different aspects of mental, emotional, astral.
4. How do you develop your films, do you follow certain principles, styles etc?
The first thing is immersing in a material. I can’t understand it, but I feel that
the explanation of it will come later.
Then goes style, the decision, a storyboard etc.
5. Tell me something about the technical equipment you use.
My films are photos. The technical equipment is a digital camera Canon.
6. The field of “art and moving images” (one may call it videoart or also differently) is manifesting itself as an important position in contemporary art. Tell me more about your personal position and how you see the future of this field ( your personal future and the future of “art and moving images”)
Videoart becoming more and more popular, and its seen according to amount of festivals dedicated to this kind of art. Even big film festivals have such block now. In future I see picture coming from canvas, from the screen and moving right to the street, to the air, where city or another landscape will be the part oft he performance. It is existing already, and I think this area will be developing. It will be 3D image in real landscape.
7. How do you finance your films?
I finance them by myself.
8. Do you work individually as a video artist/film maker or do you work in a team?
if you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Teamwork is an interesting concept. But working alone is completly different “energy” and “embodiment”. Recently I’ve been working with a musician. He was doing sound effects and I did video. Collaboration with other artists can be very inspirational and developmental.
9. Who or what has a lasting influence on your film/video making?
Too many names to list. Different types of art made a big impression on me.
10. What are your plans or dreams as a film/video maker?
I would like to shoot a full-length film in the future. That’s my goal.